Center for Health & Wellbeing
How did the Center for Health & Wellbeing, WPHF’s 90,000-square-foot healthy living facility located in Winter Park and owned in partnership with AdventHealth, grow from dream to reality? A perfect mix of need, opportunity, creativity, and a strong and longtime collaboration between the two partners.
Commissioned every five years as a partnership between the Winter Park Health Foundation and AdventHealth, the 2014 Community Health Assessment revealed important insights into the health of our communities and what resources, education and support community members needed to live healthier and more well lives:
- More than 50% of Eatonville, Maitland and Winter Park resident respondents were considered to have an unhealthy weight.
- 25% of resident respondents were at risk of metabolic disease.
- 60% self-identified as being “less active.”
- 80% responded that caring for their health was “very important.”
- And just 20% of respondents actively participated in health learning opportunities.
These results and others from the 2014 Community Health Assessment, the opportunity to renovate or replace an aging original Crosby Wellness Center, and years of collaboration and discussion between WPHF and AdventHealth on best strategies to address increasing community health needs, uniquely positioned the organizations to collaborate on the Center for Health & Wellbeing.
CHWB, which opened in April of 2019, is grounded in important tenets and guiding principles.
Our Important Tenets
- Promote healthy living and positive aging
- Stress the importance of wellbeing
- Focus on preventive/rehabilitative services
- Improve the overall health of the community
- Offer an integrated continuum of services and programs
- Create a center for collaboration among those with similar mission/vision
- Establish a model – locally and nationally
Our Guiding Principles
We believe in the whole health journey of the person…
- Wellbeing is a journey throughout life. We believe in supporting this journey, primarily in the adult years, with the 7 Dimensions of Wellbeing as our guide.
- Prevention is the key towards moving away from “sick care” to true health improvement.
We believe in the exceptional and the innovative…
- Programs and services are research and evidence informed, but we are not afraid to pilot innovative ideas.
We believe in the seamless delivery of services…
- Our success depends upon integral programming, both at the Center and in the community, in the areas of wholeness, fitness and medicine.
- Financial viability is critical, but we ensure educational programs and resources will not be denied based on ability to pay.
We believe in the power of partnerships to create a lasting legacy of wellbeing for our community.
Featuring a design that blends the healing power of nature with state-of-the-art health programs and services, the Center for Health & Wellbeing offers a fully integrated, innovative whole-person health experience. From community education programs and cooking classes to tranquility found in one of our many Gardens, you’ll find plenty to maximize your whole-person potential at the Center for Health & Wellbeing.
A cornerstone of the community since 1989, the modernized Crosby Wellness Center features two pools, the latest weight and cardio equipment, fitness studios hosting a robust selection of group exercise classes, personal training, medical fitness programs and more led by certified professionals. Certified by the Medical Fitness Association as a Medical Fitness Facility, the Crosby Wellness Center is continually improving and refining its offerings to set it apart from any other fitness center.
Whether you need physical therapy, primary and specialized medical care, prescription refills, or a little relaxation, the Center’s unique, integrated approach to healthcare has just what you’re looking for. Our on-site medical team is comprised of physicians, physical therapists, acupuncturists, and massage therapists to support your journey. Plus, the convenient lab and pharmacy at the Center take the hassle out of routine lab work, staying up-to-date on prescriptions and picking up any over-the-counter items you may need.
Learn more about the Center for Health & Wellbeing at YourHealthandWellbeing.org.