Winter Park Health Foundation history began in 1951 when a group of far-sighted local residents joined forces to build a community hospital.
The group established the Winter Park Memorial Hospital Association (WPMHA) and it was successful. The doors to Winter Park Memorial Hospital opened in 1955 and it continues to expand in size and services providing the community with first class health care.
For nearly 40 years, WPMHA operated the hospital, broadening its trusted role of tending to the community’s expanding health care needs. In 1994, the Association forged a partnership with Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation to manage and co-own the hospital. Winter Park Memorial Hospital continued to thrive, and the Association looked outward to address health and wellness needs of area residents through community outreach services and facilities.
The Association became the Winter Park Health Foundation, initially focused on operating the Peggy & Philip B. Crosby Wellness Center, developing and opening the Elinor & T. William Miller, Jr. Center for Older Adult Services, and the provision of a wide variety of outreach programs. In 2000, WPHF sold its remaining interest in Winter Park Memorial Hospital and the Foundation became a private foundation.
Today, we strive to build healthier communities (Winter Park and surrounding communities including Maitland and Eatonville) through a creative mix of grants, initiatives, programs and facilities. As a long-trusted leader addressing health and health care issues, the Foundation is recognized as a catalyst for community health research and collaboration.