During September, the Eatonville Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) held three community visioning workshops. The purpose of the workshop was to engage residents in assessing and providing input to update the existing version developed in 1997.
The workshops were made possible by a grant from the Winter Park Health Foundation. The grant was in response to the Healthy Eatonville Team’s proposed partnership with the Town of Eatonville CRA to help create a vision that ensures the town supports a healthy, livable, workable and sustainable future for residents and visitors.
The first session provided an overview of the existing plan from 1997, highlighting issues, goals and objectives, as well as specific projects identified for implementation. It also included an exercise for things residents would like to happen in the town in the next 10 years.
The second workshop again highlighted the current CRA plan and each attendee identified likes and dislikes of Eatonville as well as opportunities to build a healthy, economically viable community.
The third session further addressed the various opportunities and began to focus on priority areas related to education, infrastructure, open space/recreation, urban design, arts and culture. Some of the specific projects identified included:
- West Kennedy Boulevard widening and streetscape
- Realignment of Lake Destiny Drive and connection to Lee Road
- Building new Hungerford Elementary School
- Cultural arts/museum facilities
- Outdoor event area
- Utility infrastructure improvements to accommodate new growth
- Urban design standards for businesses along Kennedy Boulevard
- Continuing adult education and Science Technology, Engineering and Math programs
- Upgraded recreational facilities
- Supporting economic development that would create jobs and add to tax base
A final workshop is planned however the date has not been set because the CRA Board and staff need additional time to process the community feedback and prepare a draft plan for community input. For more information, see www.eatonvillecra.org or contact Tom Kohler, Interim Eatonville CRA Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (407) 843-5635 x3155.